Friday, November 7, 2014

The Belmont Stakes in New York


I had the experience of a lifetime in June, when my company, Centerplate, sent me to New York to do culinary assist at the Belmont Stakes, one of our premiere venues. Which it turned out was a Triple Crown event. Attendance was high and so was the mood. The atmosphere was electric! I saw on the news that evening that there were around 175,000 people in and around the race track. Everyone was buzzing about California Chrome who had the potential to win the first Triple Crown 36 in years. It was EXCITING!!!!!!


Beautiful Animal

The Prized Trophy

I was asked to be Saucier, the person to make all of the stocks and sauces. 40 gallons of savory turkey gravy, truffle cream sauce, demi glace, chardonnay cream sauce, red sauce sort of like a marinara, beef au jus, saffron cream sauce and a few barbecue sauces including an espresso flavored barbecue sauce that was really tasty. I also made a fantastic seafood paella and saffron seafood scented rice for a few thousand hungry folks.

My 60 Gallon Kettle

If that seems like a lot it is because it is! Of the many huge buffets we had, I ran two. One was at the entrance side of the building and the other was in the center of the building so needless to say I literally walked a few miles that day. My buffets had filet mignon carved to order, beautiful risotto cakes, awesome chicken osso bucco, amazing salads and spectacular desserts. My company, Centerplate, really knows how to put out a spread!

Chefs Pre Planning Meeting

California Chrome did not end up winning, however the experience was one that I will keep with me for the rest of my life. Thanks Centerplate!

No comments:

Post a Comment