Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Love Chili



I love chili. I mean REALLY good chili with complex flavor profiles and LOTS of spice. One of the first things I made growing up, before I was a chef, was chili. I race sailboats and while growing up back east as a kid every year, we would deliver my friends race boat by water to Annapolis, Maryland for the Annapolis Spring Series. It was usually pretty cold, so hearty chili was a staple on the delivery meal menu. Over time, I perfected what I thought to be the best chili ever. All of my friends and family love my recipe as long as I tone it down a bit and not make it too hot. Especially for my mom! 


Way back in the 90’s, when I made it for a chili competition that required the use of a well known brand of tequila, I flamed the ground beef with tequila and put it out with Lone Star beer. Since moving to the northwest and Everett, I modified my recipe to use more local ingredients. Blue Water vodka is perfect and so is Scuttlebutt beer, and both are available right here in Everett. So I flambĂ© the hamburger meat with the vodka, then put it out with a bottle of Scuttlebutt. It tastes great and I get to have a brew or two while enjoying my chili. If you are nervous about the vodka part of the recipe simply skip it (and the beer), if you are so inclined. 

If you make it during the peak of the tomato season, please use local fresh tomatoes. As well as all of the other local ingredients you can find. The produce here is amazing and I am taking full advantage of it all as much as I can. I hope you enjoy my chili! Make it as hot or not as you want! It is screaming hot in the Arena Grill so please come in and check it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment